Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Donde esta Susana, en la sala? No, en la cocina

That's from my 7th grade Spanish textbook. I still remember the whole dialog.
Cocina = kitchen, and that's where Susana is, and that's what I have here... my new kitchen. The colors aren't right. Where you see purple, that is really frosted glass. The cabinets will mahogany, full overlay, contemporary style. And the counters are black galaxy granite, which is black with little gold flecks. The appliances will all be stainless steel, not black. I still need to pick drawer and cabinet pulls.

.
I ended up going with the layout that a stranger on the internet came up with vs. the design our architect created. A victory for women everywhere who instinctively understand how a kitchen should function. At the end on the back wall, that is my desk. I left it at counter height so it can still be used as 'kitchen' space. The horizonal cabinets above with frosted glass will lift up, garage style. The cabinet underneath to the right will house my printer. Nifty, huh?

I'm conflicted about those open cabinets next to the window. They look unfinished to me, and the plan now is to put doors on them, afterall.




The double ovens are actually an oven and microwave.



yes, that is a prep sink across from the main sink. It just had to be that way. My architect was very skeptical and tried to talk me out of it but in the end he conceded that it was a smart design.







The only appliance still left to to purchase is a vent hood. Who knew it would be the most difficult decision so far? Of course the styles I love are over $2000 but I refuse to spend more than $700. The appliance below the cook top is a warming drawer, which I've always wanted. The cook top will be induction, which is the #1 item I am MOST excited about in this kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment